Tuesday 14 August 2007

A response to Morgan, A Suitable Case for Treatment by Pia Santaklaus

02 Julikeit? 2007

Hey Brett,

I just witnessed Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment and thought to comment.

It amazes me how alike movies of a particular time and place can feel...This one had a pre-BEDAZZLED (1967) atmosphere. These try-hard, home-grown, don’t-be-late-for-tea, British, Psychedelicious, faux-surreality moments are strangely enjoyable to me and still quite irksome; Perfect in their own way.

I believe this movie was made in 1966 (not ‘68 as adverteased)..the B&W presentation might suggest it and the fact that it’s still tinged with too much sweetness to be made in harder-edged ’68.

David Warner was excellent in his first big main-man role, but it's kind of obvious that he could never be much bigger as a star, seeing as his appeal would fit the league limited to such actors of dry-delivery as Peter Cook whose aura seems to be a mirror with Warner's.

David Warner, in his soft coiffed Beatlesque hair, long-square face and ectomorph body with drainpipe pants, big jumper and revolutionary hat, REALLY resembled Peter Cook. (Don’t you think?). Nuff!

While watching MORGAN! I wondered if perhaps a cinema-going genius like The Kinks’ Ray Davies happened to see this movie at the cinema or perhaps a little later on the “Tellie” at home.
I suspect this movie may have inspired him to write his 1970 smash hit APEMAN.

His lyrics include:

“I think I’m sophisticated cos I’m Living my life like a good homosapien...
“I’m no better than the animals sitting in their cages...
“Compared to the flowers and the birds and the trees, I am an apeman..
“I don’t feel safe in this world no more...
“I’m an ape man, I’m a KING KONG man...etc
““In man’s evolution, he has created the cities and the motor traffic rumble
“But give me half a chance and I’d be taking of my clothes and living in the jungle...
“Come and love me, be my ape man girl and we will be so happy in my apeman world...etc
“Oh I’ll be your TARZAN, you’ll be my Jane...etc
“I want to sail away to a distant shore...etc

Whatcha think? The movie had all those elements, including old footage of King Kong and Tarzan. That song would make a great soundtrack over the end credits of a modern remake. HA!

Anywhooo, must run...Thanx again. Twas fun and goodsomely great.

Paul

No comments: